As an avid Disney fan I love doing blogs of this theme, so I’ve decided to do a countdown of some of my most anticipated Disney and Disney Pixar releases!
- Finding Dory – Finally being released this year, the long-awaited sequel to “Finding Nemo” is nearly here. This has always been one of my favourite films since Childhood, and similarly Dory was my favourite character. I never really saw the need for a sequel but had a slight hope I could witness their world again, and I think the story looks really interesting, as I always wished I could understand more about Dory and why she’s like she is. I have no doubt in the fact it’ll be a great success. Roll on Summer 2016!
- Alice Through The Looking Glass – This is the sequel to the Tim Burton and Disney collaboration for Alice in Wonderland from 2010, and is being released in May 2016. While I’ve heard it is not much like the original book, it still sounds like an interesting story that involves time travel and a strong heroine character. The original cast remain intact, but with the addition of new cast members like Sacha Baron Cohen and Andrew Scott. Although I still prefer the original Disney animation adaptation, I’m intrigued to see the continuation.
- The Jungle Book – Again, this was a film I was slightly sceptical about at it just seemed like another live action remake of a classic animation (which they’ve seemed to become slightly obsessed with recently). However, I think by the looks of the trailer it has given this beloved story a new life and audience; as it seems very action packed and dramatic, which appeals to a different audience, perhaps such as those who loved the cartoon as a child. I’m intrigued by the changes and modernisation. I particularly commend them for adapting the role of Kaa (the snake) into a female and introducing other females into the story, as upon looking back the original film is very male-dominated. I think it’s a clever choice of casting too with the likes of Scarlett Johansson, Idris Elba, Christopher Walken & Lupita Nyong’o.
- Zootopia/Zootropolis – This is releasing in a few months, parts of it remind me of ‘The Wild’ (aka the Disney version of ‘Madagascar’), however it still looks like an exciting fun family themed film with a few recognisable voices. It’s set in a city of humanised animals, where a con-artist fox and a rookie bunny cop must work together to uncover a conspiracy.
- Moana – This new Disney animation comedy is set for a Winter 2016 release. Moana tells a story of a young woman who uses her navigational talents to set sail for a fabled island, and joining her on the adventure is her hero, the legendary demi-god Maui. It looks like an exciting time for representing the POC community and will potentially become another beloved strong heroine like Merida (Brave), Pocahontas or Mulan.
- The BFG – Once again, I felt mildly sceptical over this rehash, however the teaser looks promising: full of mystery and suspense, and no doubt lots of fun. I’ve always been a big fan of Roald Dahl’s books, and I enjoyed the animation film of BFG as a kid. I think this new adaptation could be a success, as once again it seems to have been reinvented for a new audience and judging by initial reactions of this teaser, it may be a winner with a range of audiences.
- Beauty & the Beast – Releasing in 2017, this stands to be one of my favourite Disney films therefore I was initially sceptical to hear it was being turned into a live action. However, once I heard it was remaining as a musical and included Emma Watson, Emma Thompson and other exciting cast members, I began warming to the idea. Especially after the success of the Cinderella live-action remake, I can’t wait to see what they do with it, I’m hoping I like it!
- The Incredibles 2 – There’s still a way to go until this is released, as it’s not meant to be released until 2019 (*SIGH*), therefore there isn’t much to say about it, but i’m excited anyway and I know a lot of other people are too!
- Frozen 2 – It’ll probably be ages until it’s released, but it’s been confirmed to be happening and is in the works, and if the first is anything to go by, I’m sure it’ll have a huge success-rate.
- Coco – This is an upcoming Pixar release, set for 2017 but there is hardly any information out there, but based on the title and poster it looks promising!
How do you feel about these upcoming releases? Which one(s) are you most excited for?! Let me know!