We all need a little bit of “chick flick” in our lives
(yes, you males too!), so I thought i’d compile a list of 15 of my favourite girls night in films (though it’s usually just me, crying by myself), mixing up the classics with some underrated gems.
- Mamma Mia! – I know I’ve written about this quite a few times, but I cannot express my love for this film. If ever i’m down, this is one of the films I turn to as it’s filled with joy and energy. Perfect for a girls night in sing-along! Who doesn’t want to be a dynamo?
- Notting Hill / Pretty Woman – I’m torn between these two Julia Roberts 90s classics, as I adore both and they’re both “go to” films of mine. They’re quite different, but with similar concepts of boy meets girl in a unlikely match made in heaven.
- The Proposal – Another one of my “go-to” films, full of brilliant comedy that warms the heart. A cold-hearted boss and her loyal PA find love in an unconventional way…
- Bridget Jones’ Diary – The one woman who fully speaks for ladies everywhere, always getting herself into wild situation. I like to think we all have an inner Bridget!
- It’s Complicated – Films by Nancy Meyers are some of the best, and this is probably my favourite from her… A great comedy about an older women (played fabulously by Meryl Streep) torn between her ex and a new man in her life.
- Love and Other Drugs – I watched this only recently for the first time, and I fell in love. By the end, I was a blubbering mess. A twist on a typical romance film, and it proves that love requires commitment.
- Eat Pray Love – A married women realises she’s unhappy with her life, so divorces and takes herself travelling to find a new direction in life. Something about this film seems so relatable, and it’s beautifully done.
- Grease – Is there anyone who hasn’t seen this film? It’s a timeless classic, and there’s not much to say other than who doesn’t love a bit of a Grease sing-along?!
- Two Weeks Notice – Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant make an unlikely dream combination, again it’s a rather predictable story but still a great one!
- Laws Of Attraction – I only discovered this recently, and while it’s a fairly predictable rom-com, I personally loved it. With Julianne Moore and Pierce Brosnan starring, two opposing divorce lawyers find love.
- Beauty & The Beast – An animated Disney classic. In fairness, basically any Disney “princess” story could fill the gap, but I think this one wins it for me as it shows that you can find love where you don’t expect to and Disney reminds me of my childhood.
- Marley & Me – A heartbreaker, but an adorable story about family and a wild dog.
- Did You Hear About The Morgans? – An amusing tale of an estranged New York couple who are forced to reconnect after being sent into a witness-protection programme by accidentally witnessing a murder.
- Letters To Juliet – I came across this thanks to Netflix, and I thought it was super sweet. Set in Italy, an aspiring letter discovers the “letters to juliet” and gets herself involved in a long lasting love story.
- Valentine’s Day – A fun ensemble film from Garry Marshall that has a variety of stories and characters that all overlap.
There we have it… 15 films! There are so many I could have chosen from but I hope this has given you some ideas on what to watch. But what are your must-have chick flicks? Have I missed any gems? Let me know!